Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Struggling.

I am struggling to write about the death of my much-beloved father-in-law. There is so much to say, and I'm not ready.

In my search for the text of El Male Rachamim, though, I came across a new blog, Velveteen Rabbi, that I immediately wanted to add to my links; I've done that.

Jews take care of business quickly after a death, and the logistics and details of my father-in-law's burial are complex and taking forever. I begin to understand that the healing process of actual mourning simply can't begin until the logistics of returning the body to the earth is complete; all the more reason that I pray that when the time comes, I'm buried where I fall. If it's abroad, so be it.

I dusted off my copy of my book of Psalms, bought before the funeral of a congregational friend years ago, used again at the funeral of a close friend of my stepmother's. I wonder if it's morbid to keep a list of the funerals that this small blue book has attended.

So two weeks after our loss, I feel like we've been waiting, hovering slightly above the ground, waiting for our next intake of breath, before we can begin to move forward. I wait for the crashing impact of our loss when we finally get to take in that breath, realize what's happened, and move forward.

It is still too hard to fathom.

No comments: