Tuesday, September 26, 2006

It's so hard to be 2....

<i>I'm cross-posting this from a parenting forum where I originally wrote the following dialog; it so perfectly summarized the difficulties of being a 2-year-old that I wanted to have it here, as well.</i>
 
Oh, the trials of being two....  Noah's been in a phase of wanting his waffle WHOLE in the morning, so I didn't cut it, I just buttered it and put a light drizzle of syrup on it, and gave it to him.

HIM: SCREAMSCREAMSCREAM! Much waving of fork!

Me: Darling, do you want me to cut it?

HIM: CUTITCUTITCUTIT! SCREAMSCREAMSCREAM! Continued waving of fork!

Me: <cuts one strip of waffle, and then into bites.>

HIM: YESCUTCUTCUT!

Me: <cuts second strip of waffle>

HIM: WAFFLEBROKEN! WAFFLEBROKEN! <crying as if heart would break/>

Me: Huh?

HIM: <Hysterical meltdown/>

Me: Befuddled...

I think I ended with a big hug and explanation that it's so hard to be a 2-year-old and not be able to explain what you want, and I want to give him what he wants, but sometimes I just can't tell -- do you want a new waffle? And then a new waffle, which he carried into the car and ate, sniffling, with nothing on it, and then a little quiet voice in that perfect little bell-tone says "Thank you, Mommy!"

I never get over how fast he shifts gears.

No comments: