Saturday, September 15, 2007

You know your preschooler's a redneck when....

I just heard the boys outside and went to see what they were up to. Hubby is doing yard maintenance. 15-y-o stepson is skateboarding around our pipestem and driveway. Noah is riding on one of those battery-powered 4x4 things. As I walk up and look out of our front door, I hear him yell to his brother: "Lucas! Watch this!"

He's very carefully positioned his 4x4, putting it in reverse and carefully moving, then into forward, inching himself to a particular location, so I know he's really thinking hard about what he's about to do.

I step outside to see what he's going to do next. He's facing Lucas's skate ramp, with a look of grim determination on his mouth and math behind his eyes. There is no question that he's trying to decide if he can go over the ramp, which is about 3 feet tall, in his truck. In that moment, I saw my son at 35, on a boys' weekend with his buddies, having left the wife and kids home so he can go try to kill himselfhave some recreation.

I've seen the future. In it, my son is one of those people who shows up at the hospital unconscious, his last words before the accident having been "Hey! Watch this!"

No comments: